Start by creating an account. You’ll only need to do it once, and after that you can play in as many contests as you want.
- Next, login to your account. You’ll see a portfolio of stocks that have been pre-selected for you. This is called your, “Starter Portfolio”.
- Before a contest starts, you’re allowed to change any of the stocks in your Starter Portfolio. These changes do not count toward your final score.
- When a contest starts, all of the stocks in your portfolio go live and count toward your final score.
- During the contest you can trade any of the stocks in your portfolio, and all trades are executed the following day, based on the opening prices for the traded stocks.
For example, assume a contest is under way. If you own Pepsi, and after the market opens you enter a trade to sell Pepsi and buy Coke. That trade will occur when the market opens on the next trading day, based on the opening prices for Pepsi and Coke.
If you make the same trade for Pepsi and Coke before the market opens, then that trade will get executed the same day when the market opens.
How to win:
Your portfolio’s performance is calculated based on the weighted average gain/loss of all your trading activity, and all stocks are equally weighted.
The winners are the 10 contestants with the highest percentage gain at the end of the contest period.
1st place: $10,000
2nd place: $1,000
3rd place: $500
4th place: $250
5th Place: $100
6th Place: $75
7th Place: $75
8th Place: $50
9th Place: $50
10th Place: $25
*last updated November 1, 2019
- Each contestant may only manage 1 account per contest. If you have 2 or more accounts, you’re only allowed to make trades in one of them during a Contest Period.
- At all times during the contest, 4 of the 5 stocks in your portfolio must have a market cap of $5 billion or more. The 5th and final stock must be selected from a dropdown menu of sponsor-stocks that we provide. Our system is designed to prevent you from entering a non-conforming trade, but it can still make an error so don’t rely on us. Ultimately, it’s up to you to make sure all the stocks in your portfolio meet the trading requirements.
- To be prize-eligible you must make at least 8 trades during that Contest Period. Changes made to your Starter Portfolio before the contest begins do not count towards your eight trades. You can trade one stock 8 times, or you can trade several stocks in your portfolio. Any way you do it is fine with us. As long as you make at least 8 trades during the Contest Period, you’re good to go.
- Your account information must match the information on a form of government-issued identification.
This was just a quick summary of the rules, so be sure to read the Official Rules.